General Adoption Information
Thank you for choosing to adopt a pet at League City Animal Care!
We are open for Pet Adoptions Tuesday-Thursday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday- Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. We are closed on Sundays and Mondays. Please note that animal adoptions are completed on a first come, first served basis.
View Adoptable Pets
- Click here to see all available pets at League City Animal Care .
These pets are currently available to adopt through League City Animal Care and are located at our Adoption Center, in our Foster Care program, or at local Pet Stores in our "Kitty Condo" program!
To adopt one of these pets, follow the steps listed below.
- Click here to see local pets in need of rehoming.
These pets are in need of rehoming from their current homes. Adopting a pet directly from their current home allows pet to bypass the shelter and is beneficial for the pet, the adopter, and the shelter! Learn more on our Rehoming Assistance Page.
To adopt one of these pets, follow the steps listed on the Home To Home site.
- Click here to see available Working Cats at League City Animal Care.
These cats are currently available to adopt through League City Animal Care as Working Cats!
To adopt one of these pets, follow the steps listed on the Working Cat page.
Is the pet you are interested in at our shelter?
Step 1 - Visit the ShelterStart the process by visiting League City Animal Care to meet your potential new furry family member in person! Be prepared to spend some time with the pets in our care. We want to ensure we are helping you make a great match!
Step 2 - Complete the SurveyOnce you have decided which pet will be a great fit for your family, we'll have you complete a simple Adoption Survey onsite.
Step 3 - Complete Your AdoptionStaff will review your survey and provide you with any information you may need about your new furry friend.
Step 4 - Pay Your Adoption FeeWe now only accept credit/debit cards for adoption fee payments. You will complete your adoption right from your phone with a secure Mobile Checkout! (View adoption fees and promotions.)
Step 5 - Bring Home Your New PetHead home with your new best friend! We strongly recommend bringing your own travel carrier or kennel and/or a leash for your new pet. We may be able to provide a cardboard carrier for cats and a leash for dogs when available.
Have questions?Check out the "What to expect" section below, then email us at AdoptAPet@LeagueCityTX.gov if your question was not answered there!
Is the pet you are interested in currently in a Foster Home or at an Offsite Adoption location?
Step 1 - Send an email:Email FosterAPet@LeagueCityTX.gov with the name and animal ID of the pet you are interested in.
Step 2 - Learn more:We will connect you with the foster caregiver through email so that you can learn more about the pet's personality! Please allow at least 48 hours for the foster caregiver to reach out.
Step 3 - Complete your adoption:Found your purrfect match? The foster caregiver will provide next steps and notify us that you are moving forward with the adoption. Please plan to come to League City Animal Care to complete the adoption process once approved. (View adoption fees and promotions.)
- Adopters must be at least 18 years old to adopt. Please bring a valid government-issued photo ID with you when you come to adopt.
- Please check the pet policies at your residence prior to adopting. This includes breed or size restrictions and pet deposits/fees.
- Plan to spend some time here getting to know the animals before completing your adoption. We want you to help you make a great match!
- Be prepared to take your new pet home with you! Most pets will leave with you the same day. We encourage adopters to bring their own carrier for cats and a leash for dogs. If needed, we can provide a cardboard cat carrier for the small added fee of $5 or a temporary leash for dogs.
- Wondering if your current dog will get along with your newly adopted dog? We welcome adopters to bring their current dog along to adopt, however this is not required. Adjustments periods will be needed once your new pet comes home and we are happy to explain the intro process for safe integrations once you get your pet home!
- Afraid of commitment? We offer Adoption Trials in which you can take a pet home and see how he/she does in their new environment. LCAC offers a 7-day trial period for animals 6 months and older. If you are interested in this program, please ask a staff member if the pet you would like to adopt qualifies for this program! Trial Adopters must live within a 15 mile radius of LCAC to qualify.
- Interested in adopting a puppy or kitten that is too young for their spay/neuter surgery at the time of adoption? Surgery will be scheduled at the earliest available date and adopters must bring the pet to their appointment. Adopters must live within a 15 mile radius of LCAC to qualify.
- Still have questions? You can email us at AdoptAPet@LeagueCityTX.gov!
Standard Adoption Fees:
League City Animal Care's normal adoption fee is $75 for all pets. We often offer reduced fee events and may waive or reduce the adoption fee for individual animals as well!
Adoption Fee includes spay or neuter surgery, appropriate vaccinations including rabies vaccines, and microchip.
Special On-Going Adoption Promotions:
Baby Boomer Buddy
Adopters 65 years of age or older qualify for 50% off our normal adoption fees!
Pets for Patriots
50% off our normal adoption fees for veterans w/ proof of service. To apply to receive additional adoption benefits, please visit Pets for Patriots.
Heart to Heart
Adopting a heartworm positive dog may sound daunting at first, but it's really not as scary as it may seem! Heartworms are treatable and not contagious to your other pets. League City Animal Care will sponsor the heartworm treatment with our partner clinics at no cost to adopters!
So what can you expect? Adopters will need to bring their new dog to their scheduled appointments for treatment with our veterinary partners. During the treatment period, your new pet will need to reduce exercise and enjoy calm activities with you. Once the treatment is complete, your pet can resume normal activities and can go back to being your partner in life's adventures!
Current Adoption Promotion:
We are not running any adoption promotions at this time. We are always looking for new corporate sponsors to help encourage adoptions! If your group or company would like to get involved as a corporate sponsor, please email our Community Outreach Coordinator at Lynette.Bodmer@LeagueCityTX.gov. Corporate sponsorships may include sponsored adoptions, events, t-shirts, supply sponsorships, and more!